copyright and trademark necessary??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• copyright and trademark necessary??

Is getting a trademark and copyright really necessary when you design your own logo? and how do you know if someone else has the same logo? how do you check?

there is a searchable database on the US patent office website. However I believe the recommend doing a registration search before spending the money to apply for a trademark.

You don't have to do this, but this protects you rights to the mark. If you hit it big time, this can be pretty important. But if you are just going to stay as a single school with a few students then you may want to forget it.

Comment

response

Registration search, is that also done at the patent office? or would I go about doing the search?

Comment

usually you pay for a company to do it.

Comment

response

Sorry I"m new to the whole idea of trademarks and copyrights. Which company's would I get ahold of to do it?

Comment

Hi Mike,

You can get some more information regarding trademarks from http://www.uspto.gov/. If you think that people may use your logo or infringe on it in the future then you need a trademark. Copyrighting is pretty much a waste of time, as it would not stand up in court, whereas trademarks will. Any questions just let me know as I have first hand experience in trademarking.

Thanks,

John

Comment

I believe you would talk to your secretary of state.

Comment

Working...
              X