Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardball
    replied
    Man you know your stuff!!! Left and right side throwing is the way to go. Katame No Kata is nice too!!

Leave a comment:

• Tant01
    replied
    Forms of throwing. It's a great kata to learn both right and left handed methods of each technique. Kata should go hand in hand with randori to perfect your waza.

Leave a comment:

• Hardball
    replied
    Yea, I had used mats for years. Just got a new set in Dec. I've seen the crash pads too. Speaking of kata, have you checked out Nage No Kata from Kodokan Judo?

Leave a comment:

• Tant01
    replied
    Sometimes "MATS" are futile.... You MUST know what I mean? I practice and teach basic KATA on the hardwood without problems but getting rough requires crash pads. They're thicker and softer than mats but same idea. Soft to land on and less risk than 1/2 or 1 inch of padding. That's what a Gi is for? (padding?) LOL? :P

No crash helmets or elbow pads available...

Leave a comment:

• Tant01
    replied
    Originally posted by Hardball View Post
    Yea, teaching is one way to keep up your skills. Do you have mats?
    Only when I roll with the BJJ guys down the road....

Leave a comment:

• Hardball
    replied
    Originally posted by Tant01 View Post
    LOL Rusty as ever. Still teaching privately on the side, mostly for fun. I'll never be a pro like you Mr. C.
    Yea, teaching is one way to keep up your skills. Do you have mats?

Leave a comment:

• Tant01
    replied
    Originally posted by Hardball View Post
    Thanks Tanto, I'm in the local phone book which helps. How is your Judo coming along?

LOL Rusty as ever. Still teaching privately on the side, mostly for fun. I'll never be a pro like you Mr. C.

Leave a comment:

• Hardball
    replied
    Thanks Tanto, I'm in the local phone book which helps. How is your Judo coming along?

Leave a comment:

• Tant01
    replied
    Things here on the forum are also very slow HB. I suggest advertising locally. If you don't already have a PAY PAL account for the fiscal part of the biz try that? You could offer one or two free classes and even lock them in with a one year contract?

All the best and congrats again buddy!

Leave a comment:

• Hardball
    replied
    Happy New Year, a year later. I finally got my 3rd Dan paperwork from the AJA. The teaching biz is slow right now. I'm hoping Hollywood will put our more martial arts flicks which always helps the teaching biz.

TommyCaro.com :: Self Defense Training, Jujitsu Training, Black Belt Training, and More!

Leave a comment:

• thomas bard
    replied
    HI guys,
    basically dan word is used in traditional martial arts of japenese.
    Although the dan system is distinctly Japanese, it has been adopted by many other martial arts styles.....
    and thanx for sharing your comments...

Leave a comment:

• Hardball
    replied
    The promotions get harder to come by the further you go up. If I were to make 5th Dan I wouldn't expect it before 10 years. So many guys are "Creating their own Systems" and Promoting themselves to "Founder and 10th Dan". I don't think I could ever go the self promotion route. The guy who promoted me is a 70 year old 10th Dan.

What does it all mean? In my case, it just means I'm a better Sensei. LOL

Leave a comment:

• Tant01
    replied
    Nothing like FUNdamentals buddy! Enjoy. When you reach 5th dan I'll be even MORE tempted to visit your school!

Congrats again HB! Press on!

Leave a comment:

• Hardball
    replied
    Right now I work with a lot of young kids thus my focus is primarilly on basic moves, self defense and how to deal with bullys. The Katas I do teach come from the Kodokan Judo text and my favorites are Kime No Kata, Nage No Kata and Katame No Kata. I turned my basement into a studio and I teach mainly private and semi private lessons. One day I may get a building but we will see what the Heavens have in store for me and My Art. Happy New Year.

Leave a comment:

• Tant01
    replied
    How many Kata do you teach now HB?

Would be fun to visit your school my friend. press on!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X