Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• choosing a type of self defence..

hello everyone,

i'm new, so please go easy on me especially if i make a mistake which i most likely will. Firstly, i'd like to apoligize if i'm creating this thread in the wrong area but anyway.

I'm 13 and would like to start some sort of self defence. I'm prepared for any intense training. But what i am having troulbe is choosing the type of defence i want to learn.

I'm leaining towards Aikido as i don't like to be the main attacker, and dont want to producee the force but use it instead. But i hear that Aikido is only for self defence, but i also would like some sort of attacking skills. I dont just want simple punches, i want like really defined skills, that can kill, if you know what i mean.

I don't have a big knowledge about differnt types of self defencee etc. so i hwas hoping someone may help me choose which type i preceed with.

thanks a lot guys

o great, i only just realised i posted in wrong forums... which one should this thread go to anyway? introducing myself one?? sorry about this,

Comment

i say join ur high school wrestling team and learn how to wrestle for free,do it for all 4 years and do something on the side like boxing or kickboxing. u will be a mean mofo and be able to hold ur own if u learn these and start lifting weights when u get a little older

Comment

i would, but unfortunately my school is very pov!! and besdies that, i don't want to always be the one using the force.. if you know what i mean.

Comment

Originally posted by EmptyneSs
          i say join ur high school wrestling team

Good advice.

Comment

Originally posted by stronghold
            hello everyone,

I'm leaining towards Aikido as i don't like to be the main attacker, and dont want to producee the force but use it instead. But i hear that Aikido is only for self defence, but i also would like some sort of attacking skills. I dont just want simple punches, i want like really defined skills, that can kill, if you know what i mean.

I
            If you have access to some russian martial arts go for it!

I started learning aikido as my first MA... well... you better do another MA to start with. I cross-trained in aikido and kickboxing for a while and I realised that you need some good striking basics to properly learn aikido eventhough you don't really strike in aikido. Besides, you're young... aikido training is slow... you will get bored

So, my advice is: take russian martial arts (systema, sambo). If not then go into striking arts (kickboxing, MuayThai, boxing) until you're 16 then go into aikido if you still feel like it (i doubt you will, after training in striking). I was like you... i didn't like to be the attacker but training in a striking art changed me. Try it, you will see what I mean.

Comment

wot is sambo and systema, like a brief explanation? plz

Comment

Originally posted by stronghold
                But i hear that Aikido is only for self defence
                you were lied to. thanks for the laugh though.

Comment

Originally posted by EmptyneSs
                  i say join ur high school wrestling team
                  excellent advice. i approve of this.

Comment

PHP Code:
                    I say join ur high school wrestling team and learn how to wrestle for free,do it for all 4 years 
                    Stronghold..as you can see, everyone keeps approving of this idea. My apologies up front if you already have a good understanding of wrestling---I don't mean to assume that you are ignorant---Let me tell you however; wrestling is a very beautiful art. Its not all attack and its not all defense. It's technical and it's REAL!

I can't tell you how many of us adults look back on our lives now that we train BJJ or Submission and go "AHH CRAP! why didn't I wrestle in high-school"

The guys that did wrestle..always have a tremendous advantage. What's more is that wrestling will turn you into a beautiful well conditioned athlete with a great body!

If you need more proof..I myself, after years of paying top $ for BJJ instruction..befriended a wrestling coach who invited me to come and work out with the team one season. So there I was at 27 yrs old, going back to highschool and getting taken down by 13 & 14 yr olds!

Being a wrestler..especially starting at 13 is ABSOLUTELY one of the best things you could do for yourself! And it will set the stage for ANY art or type of training you may go on to in the future...Look at Randy Couture!

Please wrestle...do it for all of us who would like to be in your shoes

Comment

Originally posted by Hermosa
                      ---Let me tell you however; wrestling is a very beautiful art. Its not all attack and its not all defense. It's technical and it's REAL!

Yeah baby!

Comment

I also am for wrestling in high school, but:

If you decide you aren't going to go that way, here are some other good styles for self defense:

Judo: Good real world application, good conditioning, skills learned will transfer well to other arts you might try later.

Brazilian jiu-jitsu: Maybe not quite as good for 'self defense' as Judo, but one of the best grappling styles in the world. This is the basis of many top Mixed martial artists in the world. Hard to beat as a competitive style.

Boxing: Regular old boxing is kick-butt both in the ring and out. The punching skills are best in the world, you will gain a sense of timing and distance. Also, you will get used to hitting and getting hit - which is probably the best 'self defense' skill there is.

Muay Thai: See 'Boxing' then add knees and elbows. Also Muay Thai allows grabbing your opponent and manipulating his balance (which means throwing).

Kali: Kali is weapons first, unarmed fighting second - mostly sticks and knives. I mention it last because most people don't think of weapons as thier 'cup of tea' HOWEVER, if it's fighting in the street we're talking about then the guy with the weapon beats the guy with the fist and anybody who tells you different is fooling himself.

So there it is. Go to wrestling is the best advice out there. You notice that Aikido didn't make anybody's list for self defense. I like aikido, it's loads of fun but it ain't good for self defense except maybe as a second or third art after one of the others I mentioned.

Comment

I second (fifth?) the wrestling!

There's just no downside to it.

Comment

This is an excellent thread

Comment

ok ok thanks a lot guys, now i must admit that i don't think wresting is good but i don't care what i think, after everyon'es good advicecs and convincing expeecially Hermosoa!! Now i'm sure that wrestling is the one, although i initially had many more quiestons to ask. Well i still have some questions... what excatly wresting like. I don't know, as you can see i'm a dumb dumb, when someone says wrestling first thing in mind is wwf wrestling sort of thing. Is it the same thing?? anyway, would it be a good idea to say do wrestiling as a main SD and do aikido just for fun or something?
                              thanks again guys

Comment

Working...
                              X