Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Bruce Lee win UFC fights had he been still alive and willing to compete?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adacas
    replied
    I'm sure Bruce would have done fine if he was in UFC. He was strong for his size, fast and skillfull. Even if he was to get beat by a grappler do you think he would take that standing still? Hell no. Bruce would find one of the best grapplers to learn with and assimilate all that knowledge into that oddly shaped head of his and go back to win. Sure he may not have been a good grappler to begin with but that doesn't mean he couldn't be.

Leave a comment:

• jubaji
    replied
    Originally posted by Thai Bri
    "Hai, you're wrong!!!

Bruce have fight when he was young! On Hongkong street, schoold, boxing tournament and friendship martial art! In san Fransisko, he have beated many martial art practioner (kungfu, karate, kempo, etc). Have you ever know that Bruce fought with japanesse, korean & thailand men with victory when he was making film or on the way (home/studio)? Most of them were badly hurt! I sugget : read, learn & thinking more before you give your opinion!"

I suggest you learn to distinguish between what is real and what is fantasy.
    And what is the English language.

Leave a comment:

• jubaji
    replied
    Re: Re: ...

Originally posted by Great Sage

When you get that stereotype out of your head, you'll go somewhere.
    hehehehehe you really believe your sn, eh?

Leave a comment:

• Thai Bri
    replied
    "Hai, you're wrong!!!

Bruce have fight when he was young! On Hongkong street, schoold, boxing tournament and friendship martial art! In san Fransisko, he have beated many martial art practioner (kungfu, karate, kempo, etc). Have you ever know that Bruce fought with japanesse, korean & thailand men with victory when he was making film or on the way (home/studio)? Most of them were badly hurt! I sugget : read, learn & thinking more before you give your opinion!"

I suggest you learn to distinguish between what is real and what is fantasy.

Leave a comment:

• gregimotis
    replied
    Originally posted by Largo_Mano

I think it's because of Bruce Lee and his open minds towards other MA's we have things today like UFC K-1 and all the mixed MMA's.

Just my 2 cents.

Peace
    This is a really great point - Bruce Lee and people like him have opened the martial arts up and made exchange of ideas the norm rather than the exception.
    Lee wasn't great just because he was a great martial artist, he was also great because he cemented an openness in our community which can improve us all.

Leave a comment:

• Fire Dragon
    replied
    Hai, you're wrong!!!

Bruce have fight when he was young! On Hongkong street, schoold, boxing tournament and friendship martial art! In san Fransisko, he have beated many martial art practioner (kungfu, karate, kempo, etc). Have you ever know that Bruce fought with japanesse, korean & thailand men with victory when he was making film or on the way (home/studio)? Most of them were badly hurt! I sugget : read, learn & thinking more before you give your opinion!

Originally posted by IPON
    I don't think there is a question that Bruce was involved in a lot of street fight or had a fighters spirit. I definately think that Bruce would loose (championship) even in his prime. Size is definatly a factor UFC remember the Kempo guy "giant killer" could you imagine 120lb bruce against near 7ft 600+ lb jello fat ball with 6 boobs, that was packaged as humanoid sumo......whoa.

Also I don't think Bruce acknowleged sport combat as true combat and basically felt it was not worth his time. He did demonstrations of wingchun power in 1 inch punch but that was it. On a technical note I also think he was extremely defensless if a grappler could close the gap, I know judo gene labelle but him on his butt many times while "sparring"

The ground game means pain

I put this in another post (not verbatim) when bruce was asked about fighting Muhamd Ali, he said: "if I fight him in the ring with his rules he (ali) will beat me......but if we fight by my rules [no rule] I will beat him badly"

Leave a comment:

• MuayThaiFighter
    replied
    Originally posted by Largo_Mano
    If he were alive today he'd be in his 60's and no he wouldn't want to fight against those younger bigger dudes. I'm sure Bruce wasn't stupid. I'm sure he would have been in excellent shape for his age. I met Sifu Ted Wong last year and he's Bruce's old backyard sparring buddy. They have the same build and were about the same age. Ted Wong moves faster than anyone I know in JKD circles. When he demo'd I was amazed at his speed. Sifu Ted now talks about how he couldn't keep up with Bruce and how Bruce used to clown him in the ring. So I can only imagine what Bruce would have been like today.

Also, we tend to forget that we're talking about the 60's and 70's everyone was doing Karate or Tae Kwon do back then. I think it's because of Bruce Lee and his open minds towards other MA's we have things today like UFC K-1 and all the mixed MMA's.

Just my 2 cents.

Peace
    I know he would be 60 and too old, it is my mistake I should have mentioned if UFC had been around when Bruce Lee was around and still in his prime.

Leave a comment:

• Largo_Mano
    replied
    If he were alive today he'd be in his 60's and no he wouldn't want to fight against those younger bigger dudes. I'm sure Bruce wasn't stupid. I'm sure he would have been in excellent shape for his age. I met Sifu Ted Wong last year and he's Bruce's old backyard sparring buddy. They have the same build and were about the same age. Ted Wong moves faster than anyone I know in JKD circles. When he demo'd I was amazed at his speed. Sifu Ted now talks about how he couldn't keep up with Bruce and how Bruce used to clown him in the ring. So I can only imagine what Bruce would have been like today.

Also, we tend to forget that we're talking about the 60's and 70's everyone was doing Karate or Tae Kwon do back then. I think it's because of Bruce Lee and his open minds towards other MA's we have things today like UFC K-1 and all the mixed MMA's.

Just my 2 cents.

Peace

Leave a comment:

• Nick
    replied

By Chinese, I meant that was his ethnicity. I don't have any "stereotypes in my head" nor am I racist. And I also know many people who WOULD'nt be offended if I said they were Chinese, Vietnamese, etc. if they in fact, were.

But thanks judging me, all the same. Thanks.

Later...

Leave a comment:

• gregimotis
    replied
    I once saw an interview with a boxer - I can't remember the exact quote or even for sure who the boxer was (I think it was Holyfield).

He was asked if he thought he could have beaten Ali and he answered -very diplomatically - that Ali was the greastest boxer of his time, and a great influence on the sport, but boxing had evolved since then.
    Holyfield never actually said he could beat Ali, but he clearly implied it.

Leave a comment:

• osopardo
    replied
    BTW

If the road rises to greet you, are you going uphill? or are you in the middle of an earthquake?

Leave a comment:

• osopardo
    replied
    Re: I think

Originally posted by swagman
    ...if he turned his focus to it he would have excelled...
    Excellent point.

1. He was a focused, goal-oriented personality. He believed in his ability to achieve.

2. His essential focus regarding martial arts was reality-based. He pursued the mastery of techniques that would work efficiently in real situations - not theory, not dogma.

3. There were no competitions during his time (that I know of) that even attempted to imitate reality. Therefore, he would not have been interested.

Leave a comment:

• swagman
    replied
    I think

That anyone as dedicated as Bruce Lee was to MA would do well in MMA competition,

He was truly devoted and if he turned his focus to it he would have excelled, mainly because he was one of the instigators of the concepts of learning as much as possible from as many sources and adapting it to your own physiology.

Bruce Lee would succeed in many areas of human endeavour.

Leave a comment:

• c0bra
    replied
    just wondering, he spent most of his childhood in china though right? or did he learn gung fu in america?

Leave a comment:

• Great Sage
    replied
    Re: ...

Originally posted by Nick
    He was Chinese.
    He was an American born in San Francisco... Just because the guy had Chinese ancestry doesn't mean he was Chinese. I have lots of Asian friends who would get offended if I addressed them as Chinese simply because their parents are from China. American doesn't mean "White." When you get that stereotype out of your head, you'll go somewhere.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X