Filipino Arts in MMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filipino Arts in MMA

Since the Filipino Arts are arts with a history of pure combat use, as opposed to any "sporting" aspects of so many Arts today, how much of the empty hands techniques & concepts are stressed or worth training by current standards?

Limb destructions work for real. I don't know why more MMA fighters don't use them. They are taught in muay thai as well as FMA.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Yum
      Limb destructions work for real. I don't know why more MMA fighters don't use them. They are taught in muay thai as well as FMA.
      Limb destructions are against the rules in MMA competition. It's only sporting if you give your opponent the needed time to submit. Just breaking his arm or leg is not very good sportsmanship.

There would be too many crippled losers...

Comment

Let us not forget the roots of Western Boxing and how much it was influenced by the FMA's.

Gruhn

Comment

Do

Originally posted by ryangruhn
          Let us not forget the roots of Western Boxing and how much it was influenced by the FMA's.

Gruhn
          .. tell us the story again ryangruhn, pl.

Comment

Story:

Other discussions:

I personally have seen to much evidence to deny this claim. It would have been too big of a coincidence that Western Boxing took a giant turn around the same time (1912-1913) that western boxers visited the Philippines and saw how effective their boxing style was.

Gruhn

Comment

Originally posted by Tant01
              Limb destructions are against the rules in MMA competition. It's only sporting if you give your opponent the needed time to submit. Just breaking his arm or leg is not very good sportsmanship.

There would be too many crippled losers...

Where have you seen this rule? I think you may be confused on the term "limb destruction" or in the event that you are being sacastic I will not question your post. However, in the event that you are being serious and talking about the destructions in the FMA's please inform me of where I can see the rules against them. In fact, I think that Chris Leban (a little ironic, his nickname is the "crippler") for example does a great job of adding them into his game.

Gruhn

Comment

here's UFC rules

and Pride's

Comment

According to those rules I could do limb destructions all day and never get in trouble =)

Gruhn

Comment

Strikes to the limbs work best in the clinch and on the ground, and many top fighters that I know use them. They just don't cause knockouts, so many people don't even notice them. Most FMA people who train guntings and pangubat practice these moves in boxing range, where they were originally intended to be used while weilding a knife. Very difficult to apply against someone punching full speed and power with both hands, unless you have a blade. Please remember things that work when moving slowly don't always work when you speed up. Aloha!
                    p.s. If I don't answer for a few weeks it is because I will be in the Philippines training. Ingat!

Comment

Hi Burton,

I totally agree with you. A good striker trying to take your head off makes it very hard to successfully pull off a good gunting.

Have a great time in the Philippines!!!

Tim

Comment

Story:

Cool!

Comment

Mma

One of my training partners is in the UFC in Europe and has if I understand him correct has just been signed by the UFC America. NIK O'SEA. He is a 3rd TG in our Art, Escrima Concepts. He is also in the Brasia Team.

He has had 26 fights, still undefeated. He uses the Concepts and wins well. He destorys the arms and legs of the other guy, before he moves onto the body and head. We read body language when we fight and fight without giving any off, well before it's too late.

If it ain't broke and all that.

Comment

maybe they shud allow u 2 fight wiv a stick in 1 hand and a knife in teh other in mma? just 2 make it more realistic like innit.

Comment

Originally posted by Escrima Jim
                              One of my training partners is in the UFC in Europe and has if I understand him correct has just been signed by the UFC America. NIK O'SEA. He is a 3rd TG in our Art, Escrima Concepts. He is also in the Brasia Team.

He has had 26 fights, still undefeated. He uses the Concepts and wins well. He destorys the arms and legs of the other guy, before he moves onto the body and head. We read body language when we fight and fight without giving any off, well before it's too late.

If it ain't broke and all that.

That's kinda sick! (the good "sick") The general public tend to favor the display of MMA... wouldn'd be so pretty with live steel, would it?

Some of the limb destructions are devastating! Nice to see the exposure paying off...

Comment

Working...
                              X