Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differences between Chinese and Japanese Martial Arts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences between Chinese and Japanese Martial Arts?

Which are the major differences between Chinese and Japanese Martial Arts?
    Technical, Cultural etc?

I think you would have to ask a more specific question. Which Japanese art and which Chinese art are you referring too?

Comment

it's a huge Q. and each one has own opinion.
      IMO, i think the training process maybe a big difference. as you know, in a Karate Do, or other style, in the beginning,there is a settled tradditional process for practitioners, such as bowing and meditation. but CMA has none.

Comment

Originally posted by ggg214 View Post
        it's a huge Q. and each one has own opinion.
        IMO, i think the training process maybe a big difference. as you know, in a Karate Do, or other style, in the beginning,there is a settled tradditional process for practitioners, such as bowing and meditation. but CMA has none.
        Again not true. Many Chinese styles have bowing (although different to Japanese bowing) and many Shoalin derived arts have medative practices. In fact the first part of the first form many Wing Chun students are taught is a medative practice.

Comment

That settled traditional process is derived from CMA. Zen Buddhism and Japanese MA are both imported from China.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Pope View Post
            Again not true. Many Chinese styles have bowing (although different to Japanese bowing) and many Shoalin derived arts have medative practices. In fact the first part of the first form many Wing Chun students are taught is a medative practice.
            i have never attended any fomal class of CMA. my training is always taken place in public park, no bowing no medative practices. when teacher comes, stop and say hell to him, then back to training.
            but i used to train Karate Do. there are so many bowing, and start with a meditation.
            so i think it's a big difference.

Comment

Well to start with there are many many many different CMA styles. Not all of them have formal training etiquette but some do.

Comment

Originally posted by wushudude View Post
                That settled traditional process is derived from CMA. Zen Buddhism and Japanese MA are both imported from China.
                Nah although I agree that Zen Buddism derived from Chen Buddism I wouldnt say the JMA devoloped soley from CMA.

It is true that there are Okinawan arts that developed from Southern White Crane styles, which can be seen in remarkable similarities in Kata and stance work. But it would be unfair to say the Jujutsu was derived from CMA. It came about from a nessecilty on the battlefield to immobilise armed and amoured opponents and is most definitly of Japanese origin.

Comment

Yeah, from a outsiders POV, looking at the two main forms of each culture, Karate "Linear", Kung Fu "Circular" are pretty clear. Why they are that way, I'll never know.

Comment

Originally posted by ninjaiboy22 View Post
                    Yeah, from a outsiders POV, looking at the two main forms of each culture, Karate "Linear", Kung Fu "Circular" are pretty clear. Why they are that way, I'll never know.
                    I would say Jujutsu was far more representative of Japanese martial arts, just look at the number of Judo and BJJ (both derived from Jujutsu) clubs compared to Karate clubs.

I do get the point about CMA looking more circular, what with the high presence of modern Wu Shu, but probably the one CMA that is practiced the most world wide is Wing (Ving) Chun (Tzun) which has great emphasis on straight lines

Comment

I would say Jujutsu was far more representative of Japanese martial arts, just look at the number of Judo and BJJ (both derived from Jujutsu) clubs compared to Karate clubs.

I do get the point about CMA looking more circular, what with the high presence of modern Wu Shu, but probably the one CMA that is practiced the most world wide is Wing (Ving) Chun (Tzun) which has great emphasis on straight lines

Fairly common misconception... BJJ is derived from Judo...

Comment

which in turn is derived from jujutsu

Comment

which in turn is derived from jujutsu
                          Adding strikes and kicks to Judo doesn't not make it Jujitsu (no matter how you spell it).

Comment

didnt say it did

Comment

, just look at the number of Judo and BJJ (both derived from Jujutsu) clubs compared to Karate clubs.
                              . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

Working...
                              X