Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

They say TKD is more on sports than MA...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • They say TKD is more on sports than MA...

    I just like to comment about TKD is now practiced as sports rather than MA coz of competitions like olympics and other stuffs but i really want to see this as an MA coz it has the kicks, the defense system and the value of this art so MA's ter what comes in your mind when they say or talk about TKD is it sports, MA or BOTH??

  • #2
    You can't completely classify it as either because it depends on who you are talking to and what the emphasis is of the school or governing body that you belong to. The WTF directs the majority of its effort towards sporting competitions on both a national and international level. Not all WTF schools, however, focus on the competition aspects of their organization.

    Other groups such as the ITF place an emphasis on the more traditional elements, especially self defense. Again, though, you could visit a dozen different ITF schools and see a variety of different focuses. I even hear that some schools in the ITF focus on tournament preparation.

    I personally view TKD as both a martial art and a sport and am proud of both of those aspects. My reasons are as follows:

    Those that practice TKD as a martial art are going to really instill a lot of the values that are so often associated with traditional martial arts... people are going to learn to be good human beings. I think this is an excellent option for children.

    Competition, on the other hand, is going to allow the art to continue to grow and develop. The kickers that are out there today are much better than the kickers who competed 20 years ago. With a constant and growing stable of competitors, its going to force fighters to develop new techniques, new strategies and work on new and different combinations.

    Both elements I think are ultimately good for the continued growth of TKD.

    Comment


    • #3
      I think it's in the nature of modern culture...most of us will never be in the situation to use any Martial Art other than in the controled environment of a dojo...as a sport.

      Most people are not willing to make the mental commitment to Martial Arts vs. sport. It's something you do (or drag your kids to) between engagements and other activities...to say you are doing it.

      Some schools and organisations are better at it than others...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by akio123 View Post
        I just like to comment about TKD is now practiced as sports rather than MA coz of competitions like olympics and other stuffs but i really want to see this as an MA coz it has the kicks, the defense system and the value of this art so MA's ter what comes in your mind when they say or talk about TKD is it sports, MA or BOTH??
        It's whatever you make of it.

        It's no great secret that TKD is 'dot to dot' Shotokan Karate, which is 'in itself' a 'dumbed down' art by many accounts.

        Take what value from it that you can.
        That might sound very derogatory, but I've met and trained with many excellent TKD people in my time.
        When i say that, it's the people, and not the art they practice, I respect.

        Comment


        • #5
          it's the people, and not the art they practice, I respect.
          Double edged sword....but a nice way to put it!

          Comment


          • #6
            dude i hate to say thid but tkd has nothing to offer except tournament fighting and pretty belt.that cost money every time you buy them.yes i will say this that tkd is a beatiful martial arts with is kick but that is it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by bjjp View Post
              dude i hate to say thid but tkd has nothing to offer except tournament fighting and pretty belt.that cost money every time you buy them.yes i will say this that tkd is a beatiful martial arts with is kick but that is it.
              What do you do?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by akio123 View Post
                I just like to comment about TKD is now practiced as sports rather than MA coz of competitions like olympics and other stuffs but i really want to see this as an MA coz it has the kicks, the defense system and the value of this art so MA's ter what comes in your mind when they say or talk about TKD is it sports, MA or BOTH??
                What's so bad about that? The sport of judo came from the martial art of Japanese Jujitsu.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Troll Virus View Post
                  It's whatever you make of it.

                  It's no great secret that TKD is 'dot to dot' Shotokan Karate, which is 'in itself' a 'dumbed down' art by many accounts.

                  Take what value from it that you can.
                  That might sound very derogatory, but I've met and trained with many excellent TKD people in my time.
                  When i say that, it's the people, and not the art they practice, I respect.
                  I agree that there are a lot of good and respectable TKD practioners in the world. Agreed, no argument. But, How do you relate TKD to Shotokan? I've taken both and they are totally different entities.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Hardball View Post
                    But, How do you relate TKD to Shotokan? I've taken both and they are totally different entities.
                    It depends who you ask.
                    You'll get some using a 'two thousand year' story.

                    Here's another one for you though;

                    http://www.geocities.com/tokyo/pagoda/6968/TKD.htm

                    and another;

                    http://www.allmartialarts.com/KIXCO/.../taekwondo.htm

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Troll Virus View Post
                      It depends who you ask.
                      You'll get some using a 'two thousand year' story.

                      Here's another one for you though;

                      http://www.geocities.com/tokyo/pagoda/6968/TKD.htm

                      and another;

                      http://www.allmartialarts.com/KIXCO/.../taekwondo.htm
                      Tae Kwon Do was literally founded 3.6 billion years ago by Grandmaster Kim during the "early" days of Korean history...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by GranFire View Post
                        I think it's in the nature of modern culture...most of us will never be in the situation to use any Martial Art other than in the controled environment of a dojo...as a sport.

                        Most people are not willing to make the mental commitment to Martial Arts vs. sport. It's something you do (or drag your kids to) between engagements and other activities...to say you are doing it.

                        Some schools and organisations are better at it than others...
                        Where's the drunken cock style on that banner?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          He passed out!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Did he throw up first?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Dunno, wasn't there when the class picture was taken...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X