Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mapals
    replied
    I have got into a couple of fights in my life in high school. Nothing life threatening.

But one time I got involved in a fight in the bar. I was already a little drunk. The fight ended pretty quickly with the bar owner throwing the other guy out. It was the next day that I actually felt the pain (after sobering up I guess).

I have had some karate training and it does kick in even when drunk. The other guy was much bigger than me and I don't think he was really expecting me to start throwing hard kicks at him.

Leave a comment:

• Middleweight
    replied
    The Marines in the USA are in boot camp for 13 weeks. They come out re-programmed. They also have the best chance of survival in a street fight as they are combat alert and always ready. Fewer moves, but what they do works real good.

Any of you guys here? Talk to us about this fear thing

I am no expert, but I believe most of the battle is making up your mind you are going to take the thug out, and fk the fear thing. Unless you can escape, you have to take him. Do it or get maimed.

Think of your mom at your funeral. THERE, you now have motive to turn the tables on the punk

Leave a comment:

• Middleweight
    replied
    Originally posted by spudman300 View Post
    firstly,if u can..run away..there is no point in gettin into a fight if u can avoid it......if some wants ur money give it to them,money can be replaced...ur life cannot...yall here me....sike
    Best post of this thread. Well, it's in the top 3

Leave a comment:

• 47MartialMan
    replied
    Real Life Situations:

For someone to give details or examples of these situations, are actually not going to "teach" anything.

Look at it this way.

Every real life story, is going to be told in a fashion best interpreted the way the raconteur had viewed or experienced it. They will leave out, replace, or some will even make up information in the story. If the story is all true, to the detail, then chances are, the exact situation unfolding for the next guy, will not end up with the exact result.

Next, most raconteurs will want to make their story, especially if it involved them, seem more exciting. Some will go as far as to show how they are the "hero", or the "wiseman". A common human trait is to story tell. This is not to state that story telling is the same as bearing mendacity.

So with this, I have to agree with doubleouch.

Leave a comment:

• spudman300
    replied
    firstly,if u can..run away..there is no point in gettin into a fight if u can avoid it......if some wants ur money give it to them,money can be replaced...ur life cannot...yall here me....sike

Leave a comment:

• spudman300
    replied

Leave a comment:

• chris davis 200
    replied
    thanks Bri -

I saw that in a local book store at the weekend. I will pick it up this weekend.

But if theres not waterfalls and meditation im sure its rubbish!

I will pop over there sometime soon. Work is a bit hectic to plough through a bunch of new threads at the moment.

cheers
    chris

Leave a comment:

• shootodog
    replied
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2695

this is an anatomy of a street fight as compiled and compared by some of my friends during one san miguel beer fueled discussion.

00:00:00 shouting and cursing
    00:00:10 pushing and shoving
    00:00:10 - :15 wild hay- maker punches and jack-ass kicks are thrown
    00:00:15 - :20 heads of the combatants collide like bowling balls
    00:00:20 - :25 they will end up on the ground and start rolling around
    00:00:25 - :30 desperate time. they will both run out of air.
    00:00:30 buddies or spectators will come in and intervene in a positve or negative way.

10 to 15 % of all punches will land.
    50% of kicks will land.
    80% of the time, when heads collide, there will be blood.
    95% of the time, the fight ends up on the ground.
    100% of the time, when the fight hits the ground, they roll around like pigs.
    98% in the first 15 to 20 seconds, articles of clothing come off. they either come loose, or are torn off.
    100% of the time, the combatants will try to grab hold of each other.

when you train effectively for defense, skip the first 3 steps. just start hitting before the shoving starts.

Leave a comment:

• Thai Bri
    replied
    Chris - the best overview is in "Dead or Alive" by Geoff Thompson. It includes the following:-

Dealing with adrenalin and fear
    Controlling the ego
    Using psychology against the opponent
    Awareness and avoidance work

There's nothing particularly mystical about it - no meditating under a waterfall. I haven't seen you post on his site yet. You're missing out lad!

Leave a comment:

• FunkyFighter
    replied
    Originally posted by doubleouch
    The problem with this thread is it appears that the poster is trying to find out from secon hand experience if his training will actually make a difference in a "real" fight. No one can answer that for you. It doesn't matter how many stories you hear. If you are training in a totally alive manner where you test everything against agressive resistance then these questions usually go away quickly and it becomes a non issue. If I am wrong and you just want to hear cool stories then lets hear em! I would ask why are you concerned with being able to dominate a street fight anyway? Are you in immediate danger of being attacked? If you are then you need to change your lifestyle not your martial art. If you are not in danger of being attacked then look to your art for enjoyment, exercise, and mental and physical challenges.
    Sorry for a late reply...I'm not able to use internet at the weekends. Actually I wasn't expecting to hear any tips or truths about fighting and I'm not in a fear of getting beated eather. Just wanted to hear cool stories like you sayed. I don't have any but I'm sure that someone must have...or am I wrong??
    And I don't give a s**t about the street reputation or being able to handle any "street fights" or something. As you also said I love to train martial arts. I couldn't imagine myself playing hockey as much as I do BJJ nowadays...no way...it's just not me.
    So let's hear it, bring me the stories...if you got any.

-funky

Leave a comment:

• chris davis 200
    replied
    my shower is broke ... what can i say!!

Bri - can you go into some of the mental training that you have found useful? It is an often neglected area of combat.

Cheers
    Chris

Leave a comment:

• Thai Bri
    replied
    I smell something......

No, what Chris says is true. And add on many other mental techniques that will help you avoid fighting in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• chris davis 200
    replied
    ... dont know about that!

Leave a comment:

• Bushido
    replied
    Originally posted by chris davis 200
    I worked as a doorman so yeh.

against both unarmed, armed, drunk, sober, bigger, smaller and multiple opponents.

I think that if you understand the reality of combat, dont have any misconceptions or pre concieved notions of what it is like, and dont plan out or think in the 'he does this, i do this' mindset then you stand a better chance.

Your training needs to be realistic and produce a strong intention to survive regardless of what style. You need fast, simple principles that finish encounters quickly. Last thing you want is a battle of a few minutes on your hands.

cheers
    Chris
    I smell wisdom here...

Leave a comment:

• Combat Cherokee
    replied
    Realism is the key.

Martial arts are good to study, but in truth, many "good" styles lack in the area of realism. Though styles such as TKD(for example, lets not let this trun into a TKD is good/bad for whatever reason thread) have kicks, the lack of alive drills in overall training gives you confidence in something that for all you know dosnt work. Find a school that goes for aliveness, it will save your life one day. In all the fights Ive been in, ive never used a kick, are my years in tang soo do, karate, thai boxing, etc., in vain, a waste of my time? No, its just never a technique Ive ever had to use. Overall, its not a matter of what style your using, its what tools, tactics, and concepts you use that come into play. One the physical level, your system must include all ranges of combat, functional gross and fine motor skills, and enviromental awarness, but it dosnt end there you MUST address the emotional sides of SD, what does a physical confontation do to the mind? Thruth be told schools that are like that, and are teaching legit stuff, are very hard to find. There is know "style" that adresses this, otherwise it wouldnt be a style at all. There are systems, and concepts, that will increase survivability(IS THAT A WORD???), no one style can do it. Your learning must range in everything from physical training, to reading a book. Train for real, and youll fight real.

-C-

Leave a comment:

Working...
X