Choices Choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choices Choices

I'm looking into new MA and I was thinking of taking BJJ and boxing, good stand up fighting and ground fighting if it ever goes there, but ive also heard Sambo is a great MA and I was thinking about taking that but I can't find a school near me... also i was looking into Judo and possibly weapons training but i have no clue where to start and that... only a bit of wrestling is previous experience... sooo should I stick with boxing (western) and BJJ or try judo or Sambo or something like that.... Im really just interested in the self defense aspect of it... not how cool it looks or something, or how hard it is to train... thats not really a factor with me...
    sooo gimme some advice on what I should go into already.

Remember that there is a difference between Sambo and combat Sambo. Ross, systema are also good along those lines (Russian MAs). Judo, or BJJ are both good choices for grappling, and boxing is an excellent choice for striking, also give Muay Thai some thought.

If you are looking for a good self-defense system you need striking, grappling, and weapons training (modern weapons). You also need good mindset development training. If you cannot find these in your area then think about the above systems that have been mentioned. If you only have the choice between stand-up or ground I would go with stand-up realizing that the ground game is important too.

Other good systems would be Reality based modern combatives (with tactical firearms, tactical knife), Krav Maga, Haganna (SP?), Arnis.

Other good systems to check out Geoff Thompson, Sammy Franco, Rich Dimiti’s senshindo (SP?), Carl Cestari’s “practical unarmed combat” and “street JJ”, Jim Wagner.

Comment

Sambo is a great art for self defense. Pretty much all sambo schools offer include both combat and sport sambo so you don't need to worry. Sambo includes strikes, throwing, groundwork, multiple opponents defenses, weapon defenses, ect. The art was created for Soviet military and the goverment dedicated itslef to more than 10 years of research of researching martial arts and taking the most effective techniques. Sambo has two cousins ROSS and Systema which is a more aikido like sambo. I would suggesst checking out on sambo and its two cousins because.
      1.Boxing only teaches strikes with hands and BJJ has weak takedowns and most sparring begins on the knees. Sambo includes boxing techniques and teaches a full spectrum of striking weapons. Its takedowns are great and its groundfighting has all BJJ has and more.
      2.Neither Boxing or BJJ teaches you multiple opponent or weapon defenses while sambo does.
      3.Boxing and BJJ do not include proper mindset and phsycology nor do they teach improvised weapons which sambo does.
      4. BJJ has good gorundfighting but sambo has all the bjj groundfighting plus stuff it is lacking. Sambo also includes what to do if you are attacked with a weapon or multiple opponents on the ground.

Comment

Yeah I really would like to take Sambo as I've heard all the things youve said before... the problem is I cant find a Sambo school near me.... (Hamilton Area... Ontario Canada) sooo I had to look for other options... if there was a Sambo school that is where I'd look first... anyway thanks for the suggestions and if anyone knows of any Combat Sambo schools near me, id love to hear about it.... Alrite thats it

Comment

Here is one school in Ontario http://www.combatsambo.ca/, I believe the Systema headquarters are located there www.russianmartialart.com and here is another place located in Ontario http://www.elitekombat.net/index.html Hopefully they are near you.

Comment

Thx but Mississauga is too far away from me too go there for serious training... I'll see about the systema because there is a school that is clsoe but i have no idea what its about or really anything about it... striking, grappling, submissions... sooo I guess info on systema would be nice if anyone can give it.. Thx

Comment

boxing is really awesome if u ask me, especially for self defense. usually for self defense, u need something quick and simple, and boxing is perfect for this. Boxing makes u very fast, and it makes ur sight very fast too, so u can see things coming at u easily. Its really underrated i think , especialyl since its not conisidered a martial art. Plus, learning to take hits as well as evade them is very important, and ur reflexes become lightning quick.Another aspect that is usually overlooked when it comes to western boxing is the incredible shape it gets u in. A few minutes of boxing are rediculously tiring. If u train properly, u should gain incredible endurance from boxing, wich is important. Judo is also really awesome, it makes u good on ur feet, as well as the ground, however it will take lots of time and practice till u reach the point were u can use it for self defense.

Comment

SamuraiGuy, all of your options are very good and I can't really add to much to the discussion. All I can recommend is it to try all of them out and see what you enjoy because the chances are you will stick with and excel in the sport/art you enjoy them most.

For weapons training, the only thing I can think of off the top of my head is stick/arnis fighting in the vein of the "Dog Brothers." Check their stuff out because they're hardcore.

Also, have you considered Dim Mak? It's the shite - literally

Comment

Stick with BJJ and Boxing. You'll be one mean mofo......

Comment

Check out the Systema place to see if its good. I have heard interesting things about it. I think you said something about a club teaching sport sambo at a judo club? You could try that and boxing. Even with pure sport sambo you would get takedowns and equal groundfighting to bjj.

Comment

Aikido?

Hey I found an Aikidio school ridiculously close to my house... well not ridiculously... like 10-15 mins by car.... just wondering if Aikido is any good for self defense or what... if I went to do the BJJ it would take anywhere between 45mins to 1 hour to get there... the judo place is closer then that but still about 25 mins... I dunno if this school offers anything other then aikido though.... oh well... any thoughts on aikidos effectivness.. and what would be a good thing to pair it with if i did go for it? boxing again? or something else....

Comment

Systema is a good martial art. Usually very intense, and generally very physically and psychologically demanding. Systema is very good on mindset too, probably the most important attribute to have in self-defense.

Systema has practical stances and footwork, striking, and grappling. Systema uses improvised weapons, knife, and most courses use shovels like the Russian Special Forces. Overall it is a good solid system.

I would go with Judo before Aikido. Aikido is one of those arts that do a lot of pre-arranged training, needing predictability for many of its techniques to work. Aikido has some good stuff, but It takes a long time get to a level of proficiency that you would want for most real world applications.

Comment

I sent an email to the judo club asking questions ... i dunno if there is like... sport judo and self defense judo (like sport sambo and combat sambo) soo i asked about that, i wouldnt want to take judo which is just for fighting other judoka... the aikido thing i looked into more and found that it might not be as effective as it claims, the lack of sparring in class makes me wonder.... I saw a video of aikido on Kazaa... (looking for fights to watch, its fun haha) and I saw one aikido dude absolutely destroy this guy.... (who just came out swinging, not the best fighting option I think) but still, it was kinda funny because it was just total ownage. anyway ill just have to decide its frustrating not knowing waht to pick lol

Comment

Aikido wouldn't be the thing you would be looking for. Systema would be good according to other members it is really effective. There are a few self defense techniques in judo. They are mostly practiced in forms. The only reason sambo has a combat aspect is because the art makes a distinction between sport and combat techniques. Its all part of sambo but other arts have self defense techniques they just do not make a clear distinction between techniques for sport and techniques for combat. Check out the Systema school and see if its good.

Comment

If your motivation is self-defense/reality fighting, then stay away from aikido. Aikido is very elegant and philsophical, but it is far too 'pretty' to work well in the gutter.

Take Judo, or boxing or anything else mentioned on this thread, then take aikido later for pleasure.

Comment

Working...
                              X