Need to start martial arts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to start martial arts

I'm a 18 yr male out of PA and planning on going to college in the Boston area. I have been facinated with martial arts since I was tiny (as all have). I am a football player and have lifted every morning for 3 years. I have built up some nice size leg muscles and want to put them to some use. I am very flexible already with about 4 inches to go from doing a split. I love all types of martial arts (except the drunken boxing and monkey style kung fu just to odd for me). What do you, the veterans, recommend as a good style?

Find something close to you and your budget and start. Asking for a particular is only going to get you responses from some biased individuals.

Comment

Check out all the schools within a driving radius that you would be willing to travel 2-4 times per week. See how you get along with the instructors and what type of students go to the academy. You will probably want to avoid schools where 70% of the students are 13 year old black belts.

Keep an eye out for brazilian jiu-jitsu, muay thai, judo, boxing/wrestling, and non-traditional kungfu or full contact karate. And one one the most important things to look for is how hard the students are sweating after class !!

Comment

Check out Straight Blast Gym at www.Straightblastgym.com and specifically the SBG Massachusetts location:

Nexus Martial Arts (Massachusetts)
        Carrasco's Martial Arts & Fitness
        850 Highland Ave., Needham, MA 02494
        Web: www.nexusma.com

Comment

Also check out Boston Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu at:

http://www.bbjiujitsu.com/

Comment

And Boston Muay Thai Academy at:

http://www.bostonmuaythai.com/bmta-frame.html

Comment

And my usual advice for strength and conditioning is of course the Crossfit Strength and Conditioning method at:

www.Crossfit.com

Comment

boston red sox

Comment

Working...
                X