Hapkido vs BJJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WildWest. View Post
    I mean, who leads with a side kick?!?!? Anybody who does that is asking for a beating.
    Royce Gracie?

Comment

Originally posted by Kirves View Post
      Royce Gracie?
      actually, royce leads with a front kick, and it worked very effectively for him over the years. This guy was fighting barbarians in the early UFCs, there wre no rules except biting and eye guaging, which left open a whole range of attacks. and royce still won

Comment

I think I've seen him at least teach side kick lead too. But anyways, I did put a on it.

Comment

Everytime I see that video I keep thinking to myself is the hapkido guy for real. I mean I like the Gracies and all but is hapkido guy really trying to fight him hell the kung fu guy did the same thing. Dude just laid on the ground and and started kicking. Crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Dpendleton View Post
            Everytime I see that video I keep thinking to myself is the hapkido guy for real. I mean I like the Gracies and all but is hapkido guy really trying to fight him hell the kung fu guy did the same thing. Dude just laid on the ground and and started kicking. Crazy.
            Sure its for real - it happens less nowadays, but there are still plenty of martial artists out there who believe that their art is all they need to beat anyone, and never consider that they could taken to the ground. When they get there they have no idea what to do.

We have guys coming to our club in combat gear claiming to be invincible until you politely RNC them. Its not their fault - they simply didn't realise that they needed to supplement the striking with some grappling

Comment

Originally posted by Kirves View Post
              I think I've seen him at least teach side kick lead too. But anyways, I did put a on it.
              Each to his own a guess, but to me leading with a side kick is asking for trouble....a front kick is one thing but a side kick, to me, leaves the leg vulnerable to getting caught and can put you in a bad position body wise. Maybe others make it work, and good on them, but not for me.

Comment

Originally posted by WildWest. View Post
                Each to his own a guess, but to me leading with a side kick is asking for trouble....a front kick is one thing but a side kick, to me, leaves the leg vulnerable to getting caught and can put you in a bad position body wise. Maybe others make it work, and good on them, but not for me.
                Its better when its aimed at the thigh so that you can recoup quick and not be too off balance or as a defensive move.

You throw a jab or a straight and your opponent slips outside; if you're quick you can fire up a side kick.

You miss a thai kick to your opponents leg and he tries to close; chamber up that side kick aim it at the solar plexus and he'll run into it.

Your opponent winds up a big right hand (or left); you lean back to avoid the shot and are in a natural position to fire it at an upward angle into the rib cage.

Comment

Originally posted by Dpendleton View Post
                  To be honest both of them were pretty crappy. It seems like any bum on the street is claiming proficiency in some style or another.

Comment

Originally posted by medic06 View Post
                    To be honest both of them were pretty crappy. It seems like any bum on the street is claiming proficiency in some style or another.
                    Yep then the UFC came along and put an end to all those debates and people realized that flying Chuck Norris kicks dont really work in no rules fights

Comment

• Originally posted by OmaPlata View Post
                      Yep then the UFC came along and put an end to all those debates and people realized that flying Chuck Norris kicks dont really work in no rules fights
                      Jump kicks can work, as can jump knees.
                      Last edited by Tom Yum; 12-24-2006, 02:17 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by sapatiero View Post
                        Sure its for real - it happens less nowadays, but there are still plenty of martial artists out there who believe that their art is all they need to beat anyone, and never consider that they could taken to the ground. When they get there they have no idea what to do.

We have guys coming to our club in combat gear claiming to be invincible until you politely RNC them. Its not their fault - they simply didn't realise that they needed to supplement the striking with some grappling
                        I agree with cross training, I am thinking about taking up bjj myself. I think people need to know the limits of thier martial art.

Comment

• Originally posted by OmaPlata View Post
                          actually, royce leads with a front kick, and it worked very effectively for him over the years. This guy was fighting barbarians in the early UFCs, there wre no rules except biting and eye guaging, which left open a whole range of attacks. and royce still won
                          He also fought crappy fighters, which were set up so that he could win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom Yum View Post
                            Its better when its aimed at the thigh so that you can recoup quick and not be too off balance or as a defensive move.

You throw a jab or a straight and your opponent slips outside; if you're quick you can fire up a side kick.

You miss a thai kick to your opponents leg and he tries to close; chamber up that side kick aim it at the solar plexus and he'll run into it.

Your opponent winds up a big right hand (or left); you lean back to avoid the shot and are in a natural position to fire it at an upward angle into the rib cage.
                            I agree. I use these low side kicks often in training as well as the stomping type front kicks for the knees or the inside of the thigh. I guess I just don't like seeing mid to high side kicks as a leading technique...to me it's too risky. But don't get me wrong, there's a place for them. Like everything, it's all situational dependent.

Nice picture of Kaoklai KOing Mighty Mo. 2004 World K1 finals I believe. That was one of the best KO's I've ever seen, the little Thai and the huge and powerful Samoan/American. One of the guys in our MT club fought Kaoklai last year, he reckoned he would have to be, for his weight, one of the best stand up fighters in the world. He fought him under K1 rules and lost on points.

Comment

Working...
                            X