Best Art to go with muay thai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Art to go with muay thai

Hello im new to this forum im 13 and i just started taking muay thai about 3 weeks ago ive been going 5 days a week and i really like it my goal in martial arts is just to become kick ass fighter all around, what would be the best art to go with muay thai?

Also does anyone have any ideas on a good punching bag so i can practice muay thai at home? Christmas is coming up and i want to set up a mini gym in my garage with a few pads a bag and a mat.

some kind of grappling art- wrestling (im sure if you are in america there is some kind of wrestling team you can join at school, free and you will learn some excellent skills), judo, brazilian ju jitsu, sambo.

Comment

If you've only been with it for 3 weeks, stick with nothing but MT until you get very very good at it. Then cross-train.

Comment

Take krabi-krabong as soon as you can, of course.

Comment

Stick with MT for about a year first..... that will give you a solid foundation.... High School wrestling would be great.... keep me updated on your training, I'm interested to hear about it.

Comment

Get a clue

No matter how good you are : if you pick fight's you will wind up in
            hospital...if you train 5 days a week then so does someone else.

M.T. will just teach you to fight.

Make sure you don't.

It's self defence remember...it will help you..but don't pick the fight or
            you will end up in hospital...once you've been there a year or two you will
            understand I s'pose.

Fighting/Fighter is a dirty word. It's code for "nut's".

Comment

Personally, I feel you should stick with one art until you are very very good at it before you even begin to look at another martial art. Get very very good at one art (around black belt level or so) and then start to look around and see what to supplement with. Doing it right off the bat will only hinder progress in both.

Comment

Why would doing somethign else right now affect my muay thai, i will still be training muay thai 5 days a week, I will take whatever else i take at a different time then i take muay thai.

Comment

you guys kind of got me thinking into to not starting something else but if i do i decided on brazilian jiu jitsu because there is a bjj gym about 2 minutes from my muay thai gym so i can walk from there to muay thai or from muay thai to there.

Comment

Your progress will be impeded in one or the other as you won't be able to devote yourself fully to it. I was taking Nihon-Ryu at the same time I was training in Okinawan Kenpo, and since Nihon-Ryu was only offered once a week, I never got as much out of it as I had hoped. I was too busy going to Kenpo five nights a week, and only had the night before to really concentrate my time on Nihon-Ryu.

Trust me, get at least to what you consider is a black belt level (i.e. devote a good few years to it) before you begin to supplement. You'll have a good solid foundation of striking skills and by that time they'll be well-honed enough you won't need hours of instruction as you will for the first few years. The time and patience is well worth it, trust me.

Comment

If you have no other martial arts experience, I think what the others said is reliable. You should stick with one style for a while until you get proficient at it.

Muay thai is a great style to start off with, especially if you are a man or a woman allready in decent shape. Whatever condition you were in, it will improve. Eventually, you will be able to remain somewhat calm and cool headed under fists and feet flying at you at full speed.

You will start off slowly over time and work at your comfort level until you can sparr.

While its not encouraged, you can easily see where other moves like headbutting, stomping, gauging and biting could be integrated with muay thai infighting.

BJJ is an awesome style and you will learn how to be comfortable fighting from the ground. Judo is really good too as are other arts, like tang soo do, hapkido, various types of karate and the fillipino weapon systems.

Comment

if i still go to muay thai 5 days a week and train as usual will bjj effect my muay thai skills. I think mike ortiz only has classes twice a week so i wont get full potential out of bjj not because i can't go but because The trainer only has classes on those days. You said you could only take that art once a week but thats not your fault if the gym only has one class a week no matter how many arts your in that wont change that the gym only has one class a week so you wouldnt be able to get full potential of that anyway. Or am i wrong?

Comment

Ekyotin,

The others replying to you do have sound advice and you would not be hindered by taking it, BUT, I do differ in opinion. If BJJ is your other option to supplement Thaiboxing, I think that is a great supplement. Thaiboxing is a stand up art, and one of the best. But it does not cover the ground and we all know that the majority of fights, while beginning standing up, usually end up on the ground, whether by choice or not. Thaiboxing has some good take downs which flow very nicely into BJJ.

If your choice was to take an additional "stand up" art, then I would agree with everyone else, as that might get confusing and your technique would get mixed up with the two arts. BUT, you are talking about a stand up art and a ground art. I truley feel, even if you are young and a beginner, that Muay Thai and BJJ will compliment one another, not oppose.

It will take you a while to get to that "black belt level", and if you have no ground training and get in a fight that goes to the ground, you will not be able to handle yourself too well.

Take both the MT and BJJ, and see how fast you will grow as a "well rounded" martial artist. Just one piece of advice....don't rush your training in either one, take your time and absorb everything your instructors teach you.

Good luck with it!

Comment

MT and BJJ will complement each other nicely. The only worry I would have is over-doing yourself. MT is intense and you're training five days a week. Make sure you give your body enough time to rest.

I don't really see how it would slow down your progress either..... but then again, a person who does Kempo and Nihon-Ryu (which I am guessing both are karate things with kata's) can't relate to something like MT and BJJ which is vastly different (more sportive). I would think it would be like learning to play two positions in football at once (I play both ways), like runningback and linebacker. The two positions definitely aren't the same, and because you play two, you have to balance the time you can devote to each, but in the end, it makes you that much better of an athlete and competitor to have the skills to do both. Many great MMA/NHB fighters use MT/BJJ.... Look at Vanderlei Silva.

Just make sure you don't burn yourself out.... train hard in MT and just train BJJ recreationally.... that might help keep you from burning out.

Comment

i agree. I started doing judo 6 months after i started muay thai, and it has benefited me. I have learnt to keep my balance better in the clinch and how to break my opponents balance, and strong legs from MT help immensely in judo. the two styles you want to do, MT and bjj, are so very different yuo will not become confused.

Comment

Working...
                              X