Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WildWest.
    replied
    Maybe in your country Garland, but I go to domestic violence incidents pretty much everyday I'm at work so I'll take my first hand experience over anyones statistics any day.

Leave a comment:

• Garland
    replied
    [QUOTE=WildWest.;334475]ReedK,

No worries mate.

Possibly regarding self defence, but no matter how strong the woman is, she is still not a man. I am an advocate for woman to train with men.....maybe it's because of the countless domestic violence incidents that I have attended, but women are more likely to be attacked by men rather than women.
    [QUOTE]

1) Not if you're Simone Ruhl...then you're MUCH stronger than most men, except for your husband.
    YouTube - Simone Ehrlich: huge & shredded in gym
    2) Plus...your stats are wrong. Women are more likely to be the perpetrators of DV, but men are more likely to be "domestic terrorists" (an actual psych/sociology term) stalkers, and do more damage if physically violent.

Leave a comment:

• samanthaedwards
    replied
    Hi Nancy,

I love these lines of yours:

""Murder begins where self-defense ends. "

"My father never raised his hand to any one of his children, except in self-defense. "

funny... that's true... I agree with you

Leave a comment:

• WildWest.
    replied
    ReedK,

No worries mate.

Possibly regarding self defence, but no matter how strong the woman is, she is still not a man. I am an advocate for woman to train with men.....maybe it's because of the countless domestic violence incidents that I have attended, but women are more likely to be attacked by men rather than women.

If you have the right environment, the right instructor(s) and the right attitude then there is nothing wrong with woman training with men. Like I say, I am an advocate for it.

Leave a comment:

• reedk
    replied
    Not meant at you Wildwest. I don't believe that you would need to train with men. Training with all women can still simulate real life situations with men, especially if there are some strong women in the classes.

BTW-I don't put words in any ones mouth

Leave a comment:

• WildWest.
    replied
    Reedk,

Perhaps that comment is not directed at me, but I do not condone touching a woman inappropriately during training......there's realism and then there is unlawful sexual connection.

Don't try and put words into my mouth.

Leave a comment:

• reedk
    replied
    Accidental private part touching or grabbing i can accept but not intentional. That's a no-no. Still need to respect the women even while training with them.

Leave a comment:

• WildWest.
    replied
    For an 18 year old girl to learn self defence, she needs to train against men in order to get some idea of reality......maybe not overly aggressive 45yr old men with chips on their shoulders, but men nonetheless.

Leave a comment:

• Mist
    replied
    In my opinion the self defense classes of 45-old men along with 18-old girls are ridiculous from the very beginning. The age if not sex really matters in such things.

Moreover, like Garland said, you're paying money to go to the classes, so feel free to talk to your instructors about your feelings toward the man!

Leave a comment:

• quabatrud
    replied
    Cheers!
    Valikie
    Out of the many posts, this one attract my attention. I believe it is possible for anyone to participate.
    Excellent ! I like it very much.

Leave a comment:

• reedk
    replied
    If that jerk does that again try kick him in the nuts and just say you just " reacted" trying to block. I'm sure he will never do that again in class.

mma fanatic
    HawaiiUFC.com - UFC Gear, UFC Videos, UFC Books, UFC News, and More.

Leave a comment:

• Garland
    replied
    I think being discrete and talking with him first is probably the best move...keep it in house between you, him, and if necessary, the instructor. If that doesn't fly, then and only then shame him in front of the class.

Maybe just talking to him candidly is better than throwing him under the bus?

Leave a comment:

• shaolin-warrior
    replied
    Lesson in verbal sparring

Sounds to me like this guy is a bit of a bully, use your verbal sparring skills. Address this situation in class in front of his peers, fellow classmates and instructor. Tell him to lighten up, tell him you don't like training with him because he is too aggressive. Tell him you are having a problem learning the techniques because you are too afraid that he is going to hurt you. Saying this in front of everyone makes your instructor and fellow students aware of what seems obvious to you, but unnoticed to them. Trust me, a good instructor will then keep an eye on this guy’s level of aggression, and fellow students will now begin to see him thru your eyes and be watchful. Now that this guy has been thrown under the bus, he'll have to be careful with how he treats you in class, because everyone is watching. Good Luck.

Leave a comment:

• WildWest.
    replied
    Originally posted by ProKarateShop View Post
    honestly, it may sound wrong, but I would fight fire with fire.. if you are in a self defense class, you are not there to be friends.. use this situation as a "dress rehearsal" for a self-defense situation.
    You could do that but then it starts being about ego and vendetta's. No decent MA or SD class should have students who are at odds with each other. You are there to learn, not make enemies. Besides, why would you train somewhere with people you don't like? Why do anything with people you don't like?

This is how students get injured and drop out and then everyone loses because, when I train, I need my fellow students to be fit and healthy so that we both benefit from training together. Creating rifts and tension does nothing for the class morale, people drop out, cliques are created and the club eventually goes down the toilet.

The young lady who posted the article should not be training with the 45 year old man. It's obvious he has no idea how to train with her and should stick to training with other men. She, however, does need to train with guys so should talk to the instructor to find other male members of the class that she can effectively train with.

Leave a comment:

• ProKarateShop
    replied
    that was funny.. I have to use that one

Leave a comment:

Working...
X