martial artist = philosopher?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• martial artist = philosopher?

i think that many great deticated martial artists seem to be philosophical. They have thier stern, somber appearence, and wisdom on life. is this some strange thought i just happen to have or do many martial artists begin becoming philosophical when they train. if so, is it by training alone and thinking on life and the human body or something?

I agree with you; one thing I adore in hand to hand combat is that it is the moment that human spirit is about to put it's true strength on test. (correct me if that's typed wrong, not so good with english :P)

When martial artists gets deep into the world of combat, he realizes the many planes of human soul. The meanings, the power, the stamina, the weakness, the problems, the criticaliness. It's like your soul opens to you more wider.

And then there are those who only wants to kick ass and concentrates on brutal and violent energy of anger, and they are totally off-topic here :P

Comment

i dislike it when people use anger in fights. i can use up all my energy, be fast, and be strong, without my emotions. i also believe that using anger usually results in botched technique.

i too want to not only get into the martial arts, but get into philosophy.

doesnt anyone else have an opinion on this topic?

Comment

nobody else has an oppinion on this?!?!

Comment

heh..

Originally posted by Killuminati
          I agree with you; one thing I adore in hand to hand combat is that it is the moment that human spirit is about to put it's true strength on test. (correct me if that's typed wrong, not so good with english :P)

When martial artists gets deep into the world of combat, he realizes the many planes of human soul. The meanings, the power, the stamina, the weakness, the problems, the criticaliness. It's like your soul opens to you more wider.

And then there are those who only wants to kick ass and concentrates on brutal and violent energy of anger, and they are totally off-topic here :P
          And I agree with you, well said.

I incorporate martial arts in all I do in life, for me, life and battle is, vel, the same, I get the same peace of mind in battle, or through training, that I get from meditation...

Comment

cool, i knew they were relatively deep people

Comment

I agree alsow whit you. I wuldent be the person I am today whitout my MA. I think personaly Philospy gose before the ass kicking think of MA.

"The greatest victory is that whitout any fight." - Myself ( Dont know if anyone said this but i thought abot it now.)

Comment

I agree, most serious martial artists let the philosophy spillover into their lives outside the dojo. Try these two books The art of war, and Living the Martial Way

Comment

i agree with all of you guys, i believe all dedicated martial artists, are philosophers in there own right, well the ones i know anyway, and have heard about, martial arts is rooted in philosophy, it is a fighting philosophy itself,

Comment

philosopher => martial artist is patently false therefore philosopher doesnt = martial artist....
                    philosophy and physics have common traits. i dont think martial arts and phiosophy do

and anger is all ive got in training... im unfit and lazy so its all that keeps me moving. my technique sucks sometimes yeah, but its improving...

Comment

we talking epistimology, metaphysics...what?
                      Philosophy is for fools with too much goddamn time on they hands.

Comment

weekend warriors are weak in mind therefore weak in spirit.

Comment

my turn:-

I would like to know exactly which martial art's do not have a philosophy!?

Do we do thing's for no reason...? I don't!

Comment

Originally posted by Garland
                            we talking epistimology, metaphysics...what?
                            Philosophy is for fools with too much goddamn time on they hands.
                            Dude, if yur goin too used bigg words, at leasst spell dem rite!

I partially agree w/ Garland,
                            Philosophy is OK as long as it doesn't interfere with real training.

Comment

Originally posted by gong fu
                              weekend warriors are weak in mind therefore weak in spirit.
                              Tell me the same thing when you do fight Roger.
                              I'd be interesting to hear your muffled B.S. spout from your lips when you're head's stuck firmly up your own ass.

How old are you, gong fu?
                              You need to lighten up...you ARE going to get yourself killed if you buy all the bullshit you've been fed.
                              Don't thank me...I'm looking out for you here.
                              You pick fights with people you really SHOULDN'T.

i.e. a Gracie.
                              When you send us the video feed, you can talk as much shit as you want. I'd eat my words if you beat him...but I doubt that's going to happen. More likely you'll be typing from a hospital bed.

Comment

Working...
                              X