??? re Greg Alland tapes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ??? re Greg Alland tapes...

Considering purchasing some training tapes as a rookie. After looking around here, I saw Allands tapes at www.kalisilat.com and thinking about ordering. I am looking for both stick and knife and considering:

Pekiti Tirsia, Single Weapon
    Sinawali Double Weapons of Kali
    Kali Advanced Knife One and Two

Thoughts?

I am also considering the Rick Tucci tapes, although 3 bills is pretty high.

I have an instructor in my area. JKD/Kali and will be working with him over the Summer, but want to get my feet wet first. Thanks in advance.

Greetings,

I have several of his tapes and for a beginner they are a good, reference. I have a student that wants to sell some of the tapes. If you are interested let me know what tapes you want and I will try to get a price.

Michael G Olive

Comment

heard from an inside source that P. Greg Alland is a phony. Someone who worked around the Pekiti Tirsia group, and came up with his own from 'stealing' their techniques and making himself as a legitimate instructor.
      This is what I heard.
      I saw one of his tapes from a friend who actually had a copy... a fellow FMA practitioner and Dog Brother to make sure of what I heard.
      Well...... I have to say
      I'm glad I didn't waste my money on it.

Dan Juan de Siga

Comment

Wow, that's a bold statment. Not that I know the politics of the Silat or Kali community, but I thought Greg Alland had learned his Silat from Eddie Jaffri. I thought Jaffri was well thought of in the Silat community.

Mr. Gordo

Comment

Dan Juan is correct. These tapes are crap. Email Bill McGrath for the inside story of P. Greg Alland.

Alvis

Comment

Greetings,

I trained with Greg for a couple of years. I do not train with him anymore. I have all of his tapes. They are dated, poorly filmed, and sometimes very confusing. There is some good information on a couple of his tapes, but again the way it is presented is poor.

Greg has a great deal of skill, but his history with treating people is now legendary.

Not sure if this has helped,

Best regards,
            Michael G Olive

Comment

Originally posted by AWSolis
              Dan Juan is correct. These tapes are crap. Email Bill McGrath for the inside story of P. Greg Alland.

Alvis

www.solismartialarts.com
              Woof Alvis!
              I saw your site, my man!

You got it going on, and it's ALL looking good!

I'll catch you around later my friend.

Rock on with your stick on!
              -Dan Juan de Siga

Comment

I don't know why some people always mean to know everything . And why these people with the dangerous half-of-knowledge then still spread rumors, without to know the other side. You are all very hard guys....

Comment

Greetings,

I appreciate your words. I have no doubt on Greg’s abilities. He is a great Martial Artist and he is a very giving teacher with His “Kali Silat” system.
                  I just hope you will be able to keep your mind open in the future. I have seen both sides and investigated the issues.
                  As for the Videos, the information especially with the Masters, and Grand Masters, is great. It is just dated in the looks, and the production quality is poor. That is an undeniable fact. I have all his videos.

Thank you again for your post.

Michael G Olive

Comment

i think some of you guys are being unfair to greg alland. and this is the problem of politics in the martial arts. we have a man who was the favorite of his teacher 20 years ago, who called him a senior student in articles, then after a falling out, his instructorship or memberships is revoked. now, his juniors the filipino arts are calling him ridiculous names. have any of you ever seen him spar i have.

and so greg is not likable, does that mean he does not know the art he began practicing when some of you were in diapers? if i dont like someone i might say i dont like him, or even that i have beat him. but i do not say he does not know the art just because i dont like him or my teacher does not like him. you can dislike somebody and respect his knowledge of the art. i believe that some of you are judging how he looks doing the art. now i might agree that he might look strange doing his art, but the bottom line is my mind changed after i saw him spar, and then more when i got to spar him years later. he does know how to fight. but about his affiliation with pekiti tirsia, if he was kicked out, then he is no longer pekiti tirisa. if he is stating something that is untrue, then he is a phony. but he does know arnis very well.

about whether you will learn from his tapes. i will agree that you are wasting your money. save your money, buy a bus ticket, and visit him the next time he is nearby to learn from him yourself. i know that he knows better stuff than what is on his tape, and you will thank yourself for meeting him in person than to take the witness of people who dont know him.

Comment

Originally posted by thekuntawman
                      have any of you ever seen him spar i have.
                      Yes, I have and he is incredible. He is one hell of a stickfighter! Greg is an awesome force and has my respect for that.
                      I am not sure where all this came from my last post but that is okay.

I belive Greg Alland is very likable. I still encourage anyone to train with him if the have the chance. He is a very dedicated and shares his knowledge openly. His past is just that his past. If you have a chance to train with him in his Kali Silat system you will not be disappointed with what he will share with you.

Michael G Olive

Comment

Greg Alland Controversy

Has anyone seen this webpage? 81x.com/eskrima/Silat It Has some information on the Greg Alland and the controversy? Anyone know anything about David Tanner's Martial Arts Skills?

Comment

Well, where's the web page?

Comment

http://81x.com/eskrima/Silat Anyone know any more information on David Tanner, Kickboxer, pro wrestler?

Comment

Well,
                              He likes photos of himself.

I have heard Greg Speak of him in the past, but only in passing.

Michael G Olive

Comment

Working...
                              X