Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TaeKwonDo blitz

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • TaeKwonDo blitz

    I have a couple question? Is it possible to learn 7 forms in 20 days via videos?
    http://www.natkd.com/palgawe1.htm


    What form do you need to learn in order to get your red belt?

  • #2
    I learn all of my forms in 6 months, but i have a learning disabilty so it takes me a long time...and i had to start over from a different style...
    it is possible to learn them all if you train for about two+ hours a day, every day. take it one form at a time...learn a new one every three days. I would strongly recommend that you learn them from a person so that you dont make errors by watching the videos.
    to be a red belt...i think thats chiljang(which is so hard to learn). i think. so dont yell if im wrong.
    why are you trying to learn all this in such a short time?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Eddie_Boston View Post
      I have a couple question? Is it possible to learn 7 forms in 20 days via videos?
      http://www.natkd.com/palgawe1.htm


      What form do you need to learn in order to get your red belt?
      The answer to that is yes, you can learn them. But will you be competent at the form? No you would not. Its quality over quantity. Best to learn one form well than 7 forms half heartedly. I for one still practice my very first form and I consider it the most important. Even after years of practice there is always some room to improve.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by lindz View Post
        I learn all of my forms in 6 months, but i have a learning disabilty so it takes me a long time...and i had to start over from a different style...
        it is possible to learn them all if you train for about two+ hours a day, every day. take it one form at a time...learn a new one every three days. I would strongly recommend that you learn them from a person so that you dont make errors by watching the videos.
        to be a red belt...i think thats chiljang(which is so hard to learn). i think. so dont yell if im wrong.
        why are you trying to learn all this in such a short time?
        my teacher basicly gave me a Brownbelt walking in the door. He said it was because of my martial arts (karate) experience. He wants me to go for red in a couple months. Only thing is, I have to learn all the forms.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Eddie_Boston View Post
          my teacher basicly gave me a Brownbelt walking in the door. He said it was because of my martial arts (karate) experience. He wants me to go for red in a couple months. Only thing is, I have to learn all the forms.
          Hmm.. I dont like that at all. Obviously it would be pointless for you to walk around with a white belt on kicking everyone in the face, but to just give you the belt and expect you to learn all the forms in 20 days?

          I would say he either has very little respect for forms, or he is simply after your promotion money. Either way idono if I would trust a school like that.

          Comment


          • #6
            i agree.
            there never should be a rush to get to a belt level, it will happen when it is meant to happen.

            And also try and learn some ITF patterns with signWave, there are alot more challenging and alot better to watch. not just ur usual wtf forms.

            Comment


            • #7
              is there a brown belt in tkd?
              ive never met anyone with one...
              what school is this? is it the North Austin school?
              i dont think that it is a really good school, due to that fact(that he is setting a time limit on you).
              my grandmaster didnt place a time limit on me, he knew when i was ready. I agree with13ang and itfdespoja with the money and not rushing.
              definally learn the itf patterns, but first learn what you need to learn. it is already overwhelming with just thouses seven forms.
              or better yet, once you receive your black belt in WTF, switch to an ITF school, so you can see the differences and recieve a black belt in both styles.

              Comment


              • #8
                I wish you the best of luck! I learned a couple forms in two classes, and I forgot most right after belt promotion. What organisation are you with, that dictates the form you need to learn for red. Mine was Choong Moo.

                (FWIW, the ITA is changing their Purple to Brown)

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'm not very familiar with TKD, but many times the most basic forms are the most combatively applicable. They are short, abrupt and to the point, and they ingrain movements that are some of the most useful and have the widest application.

                  You're much, much better off spending the same length of time practicing one or two forms. If you do it the other way, you'll likely learn a number of movements that your body's not capable of doing properly yet.

                  There's something very peculiar about this. This doesn't sound like a question that someone of brown belt experience would even consider asking.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    is it possible, Yes, depending on how much time you are going to spend on them a day.


                    If you are a competent martial artist already and are switching styles, then old material may be more of a formality.

                    Also just because he wants you to do it doesn't mean that it's going to happen, it just means he's setting a goal. Perhaps to push you to train hard.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X