Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conditioning

Hi,
    I am about to start Muay Thai, so I was wondering if anyone can provide me with some details on how to condition myself for this sport. For example, exercises to harden the elbows, fists, shins and knees.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by Sim Diddy
    Hi,
    I am about to start Muay Thai, so I was wondering if anyone can provide me with some details on how to condition myself for this sport. For example, exercises to harden the elbows, fists, shins and knees.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
    Slim, there are like... 20+ threads about conditioning your body (mainly shins), just hit the search button and type 'muay thai conditioning' you should get your answer.

Comment

Why would anyone do Muay Thai?
      Are you in thailand and poverished so you have to train this way?

Comment

Because Muay Thai is a good workout and a good form of stand-up self-defense?

Comment

Originally posted by Rickster View Post
          you're dumb. thats like me saying...why would anyone do tae kwon do?...so they could get their ass whooped by a muay thai guy?...dont say dumb things like that when you probably dont even know what muay thai is.

Comment

Impoverished isn't it?
            Because the style works for some of us. And because once youve had the shit kicked out of you in a gym you dont fear it anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Rickster View Post
              Amen Jay... I guess some people aren't tough enough for it. The harder you train, the harder your body will get. Conditioning is a huge factor in determining wether you win or lose.

Comment

People make me laugh. Anyway, like Kurt said: just get in there and train hard. That's really all you need. Otherwise look up similar threads like swisscom said.

Comment

Originally posted by cowpaste View Post
                  Because Muay Thai is a good workout and a good form of stand-up self-defense?
                  It wasnt to be a form of criticism.

I mean to think of it, what is its lure?

I was looking for responses in a postive way.

Like it has this or that, per its pros.

Also, why arent there many hardcore gyms as compared to others?

Comment

Originally posted by jaymackz View Post
                    you're dumb. thats like me saying...why would anyone do tae kwon do?...so they could get their ass whooped by a muay thai guy?...dont say dumb things like that when you probably dont even know what muay thai is.
                    Yet people DO ask why anyone would do TKD. Or even bash TKD. Yet there is hardcore TKD that is not even presented to the vast public. it seem to get watered once it leaves Korea.

My question was out of curiousity, NOT belittlement.

Comment

Originally posted by seppuku View Post
                      Impoverished isn't it?
                      Because the style works for some of us. And because once youve had the shit kicked out of you in a gym you dont fear it anymore
                      Well, actually it was to give it credit.

My explanation of improvished is that people who practice it in Thailand do so for financial gain. A way to rise from such a improvished state of being.

With such determination, was the focus to train hard.
                      Thus to be ready to win and earn wages.

An improvished state of being gives motivation to train harder.

So as I look upon Muay Thai, I look upon it as a hardcore fighting method, but shadowed by ring competiton. Such competition had financial and skillful gains.

However, it a complete society, I havent met people who needed to train so hard core for this type of training.

Bascially this is training for fighting doesn't mean that it is complete training for self defense.

Comment

Originally posted by kurt_myers0369 View Post
                        Amen Jay... I guess some people aren't tough enough for it. The harder you train, the harder your body will get. Conditioning is a huge factor in determining wether you win or lose.
                        Lose? I haven't lost for 30 years. yet I dont do Muat Thai or any of that hardcore conditioning.

Comment

Originally posted by PlasmaShock
                          They would do muay thai to kick people's asses like yours. Just kidding. But you still are an idiot.
                          I havent got my ass kicked from Muay Thai.

Comment

Well Rickster, I think you possibly could have worded your statements differently if you were looking for positive feedback, but that aside:

Muay Thai is a very effective art, it wouldn't have gotten where it has in MMA if it weren't, don't you think? Maybe it would help you to remember that American TKD is not the same as Korean TKD. The TKD here is great for Motion Artists, beginer martial artists, and for kids. I say that for a few reasons: It helps build coordination, balance, speed, flexibility, and discipline to name a few of the benifits. However, the bulk of TKD Dojangs in the US don't put those tools together in a way that's useful for combat.

Also remember you are on a MT forum: The people here care about how combat-effective a style is. That may not be all they care about, but it's a factor.

And just as a minor side note: You seem rather criticle of Muay Thai, yet you've never tried it. You say you've never gotten your ass kicked from MT, but you've never done drill rounds, much less been in the ring. Can you honestly hold your experiances as valid chalanges to the style when you have no experiance? No firey "err" face, just thought I'd point that out to you.

Comment

I dont think that there was a directed offense. The question was simple-Why would anyone do Muay Thai? The responses should have been a viewpoint and not offensive. I didnt think it was crtitcism as much as getting responses. Maybe not the responses that were searched for. I dont see where it was said that it wasnt effective. I also see the relation of it with poverty.

Comment

Working...
                              X