No announcement yet.

Best Martial Art for Self-Defense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound advice king. I was lookin at the doorman gig not for the primary purpose of mixing it up physically, but for the training in awareness and avoidance. But I know that the physical altercations may be inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by kingoftheforest View Post
      If it happened so often at any club the place would be raided and shut down. I have worked at some of the most low down after hours clubs in my area, and never encountered anyone "coked up" or crazy on drugs.
      Pretty tame place you live in.

If you're talking about practicing SD then make sure you focus on the two biggest advantages you will have, avoidance and awareness.
      I would add to that de-esculation skills.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Pope View Post
        Pretty tame place you live in.
        Not all of us can live in a comic book. However Bikers were usually the main trouble maker, they may have been speeding and coked up, they just must of been able to handle their shit better in my area.

My ultimate concern was being seriously injured or killed for no other reason then some club patron was upset he got bounced.

I would add to that de-esculation skills.
        Agreed

Comment

Originally posted by GQchris View Post
          Sound advice king. I was lookin at the doorman gig not for the primary purpose of mixing it up physically, but for the training in awareness and avoidance. But I know that the physical altercations may be inevitable.
          Wanna train awarness. Go to Wal-Mart or the mall and see how many people you notice carrying knives, or pocket knives. Pay attention to what people are wearing. You don't have to be paranoid but notice the landscape, what could you use to your advantage.

Do some of the people in the crowd look like a threat, or just weird. Anything laying around that would make a good weapon? Where are the exits?

Awarness doesn't just come from getting attacked. If you aren't aware that there is a threat till the shit hits the fan, then it's too late.

Not all the crazies give you the benefit of a warning.

Comment

Not all the crazies give you the benefit of a warning.
            This is sooo true. The thing is though how much of your life do you need to spend worrying about this kinda thing? Fine line at times between causious and paranoid...

Comment

This is sooo true. The thing is though how much of your life do you need to spend worrying about this kinda thing? Fine line at times between causious and paranoid...

Paying attention and worrying are 2 different things. Walking around with your head up your ass is idiotic. Thinking it won't happen to you because of factors like where you live or what you do is ignorant.

Paranoia is when you think everyone and everything is a threat, not when you assess what is going on around you, and are aware of your surroundings.

Comment

The thing that gets folks killed or maimed most often (in my experience???) is not a lack of AWARENESS so much. That just makes them a GOOD victim. The thing WE all need to keep in mind is INTENT. Seriously! If you approach a "situation" or happen to find yourself in the wrong place/ wrong time, the worse thing you can do is UNDERESTIMATE the potential for lethal intent.

You just never really know who means to plant your ass in the ground... or not.

Never underestimate the potential of intent. Pearl Harbor ring any bells?

Comment

Intent is why we have the .45 caliber. The smaller caliber just didn't have the stopping power.

People with intent would stop coming till they bleed out, which wasn't soon enough.

Musashi advocates intent being important.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Wright View Post
                    I've said this before, but I don't think martial arts plays a major role in self protection.

Lifestyle choices, intelligence, preparation, awareness, avoidance, courage, confidence, communication, experience, aggression, and luck are all things further up the list.

If anyone ever approaches me with a determined passion or paranoia about self protection, then these days I tell them to get a job on the doors. They will learn exactly what they need to know from the guys around them, and will grow to understand more about how to handle the ugly nature of aggression and violence in one week there than they will in years on the focus mitts.

Anyone ever look into the old school warriors like W.E. Fairbairn these days?

2-28- 1885 to 6-20- 1960

Comment

• A good portion of the combatives I practice come from Fairbairn.

Comment

• since this thread is up again

most likely, if you'll fight 2 opponents equal your strength, you will loose. the only chance is ko one fast when they don't fight, and then fight the second. you have to use a weapon against multiple opponents or avoid the fight in the first place

1 v 1 muay thai is still the best

Comment

• How much do physical attributes play in real life situations as opposed to sport competitions like a boxing match with rules?

Is the physically older man still at a disadvantage over the younger one?

Comment

• Originally posted by GQchris View Post
                            How much do physical attributes play in real life situations as opposed to sport competitions like a boxing match with rules?

Is the physically older man still at a disadvantage over the younger one?

Depends on how you are trying to fight. Styles that require a large amount of physical strength aren't going to be as effective as you get older.

It gets more to be about fighting smarter than harder.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tant01 View Post
                              Anyone ever look into the old school warriors like W.E. Fairbairn these days?

2-28- 1885 to 6-20- 1960
                              Yes, I've looked at both Fairbairn's and Applegate's material. It looks alot like what I was taught.

Comment

• Besides situational awareness and common sense, I would recommend any form of combatives if you have access to an instructor. My reasoning being that combatives only teaches fundamental techniques that are easy to learn and that will be drilled until they stick in your motor memory. Good combatives should be more a collection of principles than a collection of techniques.
                                For self-teaching material I will highly recommend anyone to check out Kelly McCann and Lee Morrison.

Comment

Working...
                                X